The Grindstone Award Foundation is an official Registered Canadian Charity that enables young female players the opportunity to participate and improve their skill development in the sport of hockey. We provide financial support to young female hockey players who have the desire to play but are unable to participate due to financial reasons. We are a grassroots movement with a vision to empower women in life and sport to improve the current state of inequality.
To be the change agent for girls and women across all levels of female hockey by changing the conversation. We will change lives.
Become Our Volunteer Vice President
The Vice President (VP) works alongside the President and supports the process of leading the direction of the Charity, managing all fundraising and development activities of the organization. The VP will also contribute to the creation and implementation of our strategic plan, in line with the mission, goals, and objectives of the Charity.
Fall 2019 (Minimum commitment of two (2) years is preferred.)
- Works closely with the President, aiding in the overall management of the Charity; helping establish strategic and operational priorities
- Carry out duties as assigned by the President. Will read and understand the president’s responsibilities and be ready to perform in place of the president when needed as assigned to do so.
- Acts as spokesperson, delivering key messages and represents the Charity when appointed to do so
- Replaces the President at various functions when delegated by the President or Board
- As a member of the board, develops and enforces policies and objectives for the organization to ensure it maintains its values and meets established goals
- Recruits and retains qualified team members to meet Charity priorities
- Develops and mentors staff, volunteers, special teams, special committees
- Acts as quarterback of communication, connecting the Grindstone team
- Ability to act as the first point of contact for sponsorship, event, or strategic partnership opportunities
- Engages and collaborates with all members of the Grindstone team and event volunteers to ensure adequate support is provided at all levels
- Assesses situations to determine potential risks, making clear and timely decisions that are in the best interest of the Charity
- Provides leadership and commitment to the vision of the Charity while maintaining and promoting a culture of a high level of professionalism, team motivation, and collaboration
Desired Skills, Abilities and Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelors in Business or Masters in Business is an asset
- Experience managing personnel remotely
- Board experience
- Ability to take the lead, delegating and dictating needs
- Ability to communicate effectively with a diverse group of people
- A solutions-driven individual who is driven and assertive but also has the capacity to listen
- Adaptable: Taking on roles and acting as the Presidents Delegate, as necessary
- Excellent organization and team coordination abilities
- Working knowledge of databases and MS Word and Office (Excel)
- Nice to haves: A passion for hockey, experience organizing hockey-related events, a demonstrated ability to build lasting relationships with key members of the Canadian hockey industry
Applications and Registration Requirements to Fulfill This Position
- Current resume or CV
- 2-3 References
- If we and you are a good fit we will need the following record checks and will reimburse you for the cost associated with them: a Criminal, Enhanced, Police Information and Vulnerable Sector
- Must be a registered volunteer with Grindstone Award Foundation
- Must have attended an interview in person or via telephone with Volunteer Coordinator or Grindstone President/VP
- Must have signed the Grindstone Confidentiality Agreement
Training, Supervision and Support Plan
- You will be provided with orientation and training around your role. We encourage you to ask many questions and engage in the position.
- You will be provided support and supervision.
- Our Volunteer Coordinator will be following-up with you and providing feedback 3 months into your role. This is also a time for you to communicate and provide feedback, questions, concerns, etc.
Time Commitment and Location of Assignment
The time commitment required for this role will vary from a few hours a week to one hour a day.
The location is at your discretion. You must have access to personal computer/laptop to perform volunteer work, or any other medium (smartphone) where you can get onto a call or a Skype meeting for monthly calls with no distractions.
Onsite (Annual General Meeting (AGM), retreats, other agreed-upon events or special meetings): Attendance to the physical location of the event is preferred
The Grindstone Award Foundation is a registered Canadian charity that enables young female players to participate and improve their skill development in the sport of hockey. Grindstone provides support to communities across Canada, addressing the needs of female players who have a desire to play but are unable to for financial reasons. The Foundation provides grants to female players under the age of nineteen who have expressed a desire to pursue their goals in athletics. Grant recipient selection is based on financial need and desire, not on hockey ability. It is the Foundation’s intention that all grants will be awarded objectively in accordance with these criteria.