The Grindstone Award Foundation is an official Registered Canadian Charity that enables young female players the opportunity to participate and improve their skill development in the sport of hockey. We provide financial support to young female hockey players who have the desire to play but are unable to participate due to financial reasons. We are a grassroots movement with a vision to empower women in life and sport to improve the current state of inequality.
To be the change agent for girls and women across all levels of female hockey by changing the conversation. We will change lives.
Become Our Volunteer Board Treasurer!
The Treasurer plays a critical role in managing all financial related activities of the organization. The Treasurer must understand applicable laws to ensure the Charity is in good standing with CRA and other regulating entities.
July 2021 (Minimum commitment of two (2) years is preferred.)
- Overall financial management and reporting of the organization’s finances.
- Create and maintain financial records (and back ups), including books and accounts as necessary to comply with the Trust Deed and the Canada Revenue Agency.
- Keep full and accurate accounts of all assets, liabilities, receipts and disbursements of the Charity.
- Prepare financial statements monthly and present on a quarterly basis to the Board of Directors.
- Regularly reports to board on key financial events, trends, concerns and assessment of fiscal health.
- Ensure development and board review of financial procedures and systems.
- Preparing and facilitating annual budget, as well as regularly monitoring and comparing actual revenues and expenses vs. budget.
- Work closely with the President, Vice President and any Executive working on special events to develop a budget, spreadsheets, and timeline for commencing and concluding all financial responsibilities related to said event.
- Clearly communicate roles and responsibilities and expectations of staff, team members or special events team members with regards to the financial and budget responsibilities (cash on hand, square reader, float, clarity on what is sold, for what).
- Ensure fulfillment of other parties’ responsibilities around financial cash flows.
- Define clear expectations of payment and deadlines.
- Appoint a delegate when not able to be present in your role.
- Develop and enforce strong internal controls and financial management policies.
- Have the organization’s financials audited whenever required or advisable.
- Assists in the selection of an auditor, if needed, and meets with him or her annually.
- Attend monthly board meetings and team meetings as required.
Desired Skills, Abilities and Qualifications and Experience
- Experience with non-profit charities
- Bookkeeper or role with related experience
- Must be registered (or willing to register) as a Canada Revenue Agency representative
- Working knowledge of MS Word and Office (Excel)
Application Requirements to Fulfill This Position
- Current resume or CV
- 2-3 References
- Must attend virtual interview with Grindstone board members
- Must have signed the Grindstone Confidentiality Agreement
- Must have financial software to complete reporting requirements